According to BMW ‘With its visionary design, the BMW i3 defines the car of tomorrow.’
Wired is calling “the most innovative thing to come out of Munich in a decade.”
In July 2013 BMW revealed its new and ‘innovative’ electric car the i3. The BMW i3 is their first car to be launched under the new sub brand ‘i’.
Two versions will be offered – Standard and Range Extender. The Range Extender has a 650cc, 34bhp two-cylinder petrol engine acting as a generator to extend the battery's overall range.
Designed for life in the city (qualifying for a full 100% discount in the London Congestion Zone) it is also able to travel between 80 and 100 miles through the high-voltage lithium ion battery. The Range extender has a range of between 160 and 186 miles on one tank of fuel.
- A 168bhp electric motor that provides 184lb ft of torque
- Standard model has a range of between 80 and 100 miles
- Range Extender version has a range of between 160 and 186 miles on one tank of fuel
- BMW i3 prices start from £25,680 for the standard model and £28,830 for the Range Extender version, including the full £5,000 Government plug-in car grant
- Leasing packages start from £369 per month for a 36-month contract and a limit of 24,000 miles